Powdered sugar icing tastes good, dries well on sugar cookies, and holds on to decorations very well.
It also has disadvantages (other than a sugar high from all that concentrated sugar).
1) When measuring powdered sugar, and when sifting powdered sugar, be aware that it will go EVERYWHERE. You will have to clean every surface within 6 feet of any activity done with powdered sugar.
2) When icing cookies, the icing will inevitably run out when you have less than 8 cookies and more than 3. Three is the number that I would say, oh forget it, and just eat the cookies without icing.
3) When making a small batch of icing, you will forget you are supposed to add the extra milk by the teaspoon, because you used a tablespoon while making a triple batch of icing. This will result in powdered sugar glaze instead of icing. You will then have to add more powdered sugar. See point #1 for the rest of this point.
4) After completing the cookies, you will have leftover icing. You must clean this bowl immediately because the icing will harden to the consistency of petrified rock, and you will have a really hard time cleaning it later.
5) It is so very sad if you drop and break an iced cookie on the floor. (5 second rule.) (yummy.)
6) It takes twice as long to decorate the cookies than it did to bake the cookies in the first place.
7) You must also sit around protecting the cookies from the cats while they (the cookies) dry enough to put away. Especially when you have a kitten who has finally mastered jumping as high as a chair without falling back to the floor instead. (Though he still falls back to the floor when attempting a higher jump, which is quite hilarious, and we actually hope he never masters jumping well.)
8) I do not remember the last time I had to decorate cookies. I usually outsource this to young adults, but they were not available this time.
9) Upon completing the cookies, you will survey the damage to the kitchen, eat some lunch, and clean up. Then you will sit back and relax.
10) Until you suddenly realize that you haven't made Robbie some GFCF cookies yet. And that's not going to go over well with him, so I will have to make more cookies when I get back from picking him up at school. Thankfully I have a couple of mixes that we like in the pantry. This is a great spot to lead into my prayer request, because I'm hoping he will eat many cookies...
Robbie has been losing weight (and does not have weight to lose. He's getting thin.). He's now taking an appetite stimulant for the next week to see if that helps. My prayer request is that we can figure out why he's not eating and if there is an underlying health problem, that we will find it. Thank you!